Teacher for the Visually Impaired (TVI)
Arlington Public Schools, Arlington, VA
- Must have or be eligible for Virginia licensure (VDOE)
- Must have or be eligible for endorsement in Teacher of the Visually Impaired.
- Ability to travel between sites.
- Perform functional vision and learning media assessments on new referrals and three-year re-evaluations. Interpret eye medical reports as they relate to educational environments.
- Contribute to the development of the IEP. Recommend appropriate specialized evaluations such as low vision, orientation and mobility, psycho-social, and adaptive physical education.
- Consult with diagnosticians, classroom teachers, students, and parents concerning appropriate evaluations, modification, and test administration.
- Assist in determining and procuring classroom equipment and materials necessary for the student with visual impairments to learn including ensuring necessary room modifications and lighting changes.
- Provide modified materials to the classroom teacher. Provide braille, recorded/enlarged materials, and tactual symbols as appropriate for each child.
- Monitor the students' progress in academic subjects and provide instruction in compensatory skills as needed
- Instruct students in using low vision devices and instruct students in braille reading and writing.
- Maintain adequate record of all assessments, IEPs ARD paper, progress reports and signed parental release forms for things such as photographs and registration with various agencies. Provide 6-week, 9-week, or 12-week progress reports as indiciated by school policy on students with visual impairment in regular education classes and follow up with teacher and/or parent conferences as appropriate.
- Register students with visual impairment with appropriate agencies such as Recordings for the Blind, and VA Textbooks Library, and assist with referral to the VA Services for the Blind.
- Communicate with low-vision specialists, ophthalmologists, and optometrists concerning exams, and attend exams when appropriate.
Competitive based on education and experience
Job Posting Expires September 17, 2022