Teacher of the Blind/Visually Impaired
St. Michael-Albertville Schools Minnesota
Bachelor’s degree in education and required teaching licensure in special education: Blind or visually impaired as required by the State of Minnesota. Specific content knowledge, training, or job experience required before appointment, and successful student teaching.
Responsible for developing and providing specialized, research-based instruction to meet the unique needs of blind or visually impaired students. Also responsible for evaluating and assessing student progress against instructional objectives and following state mandated due process procedures and functions. The students range in age from birth through 21 and may have only a visual impairment or additional disabilities.
- Provide instruction and support in curriculum areas, making appropriate use of instructional resources and technologies.
- Interpret eye medical reports as they relate to educational environments. Consult with diagnosticians, classroom teachers, students, and parents concerning appropriate evaluations, modification, and test administration.
- Conduct special education evaluations and reevaluations; recommend appropriate specialized evaluations as needed, such as low vision, orientation and mobility, psycho-social, and adaptive physical education.
- Write and implement individual student goals and objectives, and evaluate student performance according to the goals and objectives on Individual Educational Plan (IEP).
- Provide direction, supervision, and evaluative feedback of paraprofessionals as directed, including Braillist.
- Maintain required student records and complete all district and state reporting requirements.
- Maintain contact and communications with parents of students and work with them in the development of each student.
- Attend meetings, workshops, and training in the field of visual impairment as directed by supervisor. Maintain a reference library.
Starting at $46,000 annually; certified teacher's contract
Job Posting Expires April 24, 2021